Since I updated to the 10.5 version of the IDEA IntelliJ IDE I encountered various performance issues, in particular while typing code. Sometimes I had to wait like one second to see my changes in the editor. That got quite annoying and made the IDE unusuable.
Now I figured out how to get rid of this odd issue.. Obviously it has smething to do with the graphic card driver under my Ubuntu (10.10).
So I changed the xorg.conf
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and put following option into the section “Device”:
Option "AccelMethod" "XAA"
Further I tweaked some vmoptions as well. This is how my vmoptions look like (/opt/idea-IU-107.105/bin/idea.vmoptions)
-server-Xms1024m -Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=128m
(Maybe it’s even better to decrease the heap size, otherwise the GC might run forever).
After these steps my IDEA runs fluently and without any problems – as I expected for a i7 965 4Core + 4 Threading CPU and 16 GB ram.